WHY IN NEWS ?
- After black and white fungus, the recent case of yellow fungus has become a cause for concern.
- Yellow fungus, also called mucor septic, initially develops by the presence of moulds(a type of fungi) in the environment.
- It may be presentwith unnecessary fatigue, rashes, burning sensation on skin
- Humidity levels below 30-40% can promote the growth of fungus.
- It may not start from the lungs but it invades internal organs of the bodyand affects the entire functioning.
- Prolonged use of steroids, contaminated environment, uncontrolled diabetes, unhygienic habits, lesser immunity, comorbidities.
- The treatment for Covid-19includes steroids and immune suppressants that leave the body with weak immunity.
- Weight loss, reduced appetite, lethargy are the common symptomsof yellow fungus infection.
If not detected in time, symptoms can become more severe including pus leakage, sunken eyes, organ failure, slow healing of wounds and necrosis (cells in the living tissues die prematurely).
- Till now the only known treatment for yellow fungus is Amphotericin B injection, which is an antifungal drug also being used to treat black fungus.
- Maintaining hygiene, not consuming stale food, keeping the humidity in the room in check, etc.