Why in news ?
The 10th edition of the World Giving Index (WGI) 2021 has been released.
- The World Giving Index (WGI) is published by the Charities Aid Foundation(CAF).
- Parameters: The index provides combined insight into the scope and nature of giving around the world. It looks at three aspects of giving behaviour and asks: Have you done any of the following in the past month?
- Helped a stranger or someone you didn’t know who needed help?
- Donated money to a charity?
- Volunteered your time to an organization?
- Data Source: The index uses data gathered by Gallup and ranks countries in the world according to how charitable they are.
- The report includes the results of 1.6 million individuals interviewed across the globe since 2009.
- What are the Key Findings of the World Giving Index 2021?
- India is among the top 20 generous countries in the world. It has been ranked 14th position in the Index.
- This is a significant improvement from the 10-year global rank of 82.
- In India, at least 61% of Indians helped strangers. Meanwhile, 34% volunteered for a cause and 36% donated money.