Why in News ?
Recently, in Yogyakarta city of Indonesia, dengue fever cases have been cut by 77% through a trial that manipulates the mosquitoes spreading dengue.
About the trial
- Scientists used mosquitoes infected with “miraculous bacteria” and released across the cities. These bacteria reduce insect’s ability to spread dengue.
- Trial used mosquitoes infected with Wolbachia bacteria.
- Wolbachia doesn’t harm mosquito, but it goes in same parts of its body where dengue virus needs to get into.
- The bacteria compete for resources and make it much harder for dengue virus to replicate, so the mosquito is less likely to cause an infection when it bites again.
- According to team of World Mosquito Programme, this method can be a solution to virus that has spread worldwide.
- The technique is successful and mosquitoes have been released across whole city. This project is targeting to cover more areas with the aim of eradicating dengue.