WHY IN NEWS?
Recently, the Narayankoti temple (Uttarakhand) has been included under the Centre’s Adopt a Heritage project.
Adopt a Heritage Project:
- Launched on 27thSeptember, 2017 (World Tourism Day), it is a collaborative effort by the Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of Culture and Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), State/UTs Governments.
- To develop tourism amenities at heritage/ natural/ tourist sites spread across India to make them tourist friendly, in a planned and phased manner.
- The temple is a group of ancient temples, about 2 km from Guptkashi on the Rudraprayag-Gaurikund highway.
- This is the only place in the country which has nine planetary temples in a group that are a “symbol of nine planets”.
- It is devoted to Lakshmi Narayana who is associated with Pandavas.
- It is believed that these temples were constructed in the 9th