Why in news ?
World Drug Report 2021 was released by United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). As per the report, 275 million people used drugs across the world in 2020.
Key findings of report
- As per the report, 36 million people suffered from drug use disorders.
- In last 24 years, cannabis potency had increased by four times in some parts of the globe.
- Percentage of adolescents who perceived drug as harmful has reduced by 40 per cent.
- Despite that, cannabis use is associated with a variety of health and other harms, particularly among regular long-term users.
- Drug Report highlights the need to close gap between perception and reality to educate young people about harmful effects of drugs and safeguard public health.
- Percentage of Δ9-THC, main psychoactive component in cannabis, has increased from six per cent to 11 per cent in Europe between 2002-2019.