Why in News ?
- UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and Food & Agriculture Organisation of UN (FAO) launched ‘UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration’ report for 2021-2030 and called on nations to meet commitments
- As per the report, world is facing triple threat of climate change, loss of nature and pollution. So, world must deliver on its commitment to restore at least one billion degraded hectares of land (equal to size of China) in next decade.
- Report highlights, countries also need to meet similar commitments for oceans.
- Humanity is using 1.6 times the number of services that nature can provide sustainably.
- Thus, conservation efforts alone are insufficient to prevent ecosystem collapse and biodiversity loss on larger scale.
- Communities living across two billion of degraded hectares and include world’s poorest and marginalized people.
© 2023 Civilstap Himachal Design & Development