- The UDID project is under implementation since 2016. The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities recently made it mandatory for all states and Union Territories to issue a certificate of disability only using UDID portal. This is to come into force from June 1, 2021.
- UDID is Unique ID for Persons with Disabilities Project. The project aims to provide a Universal ID And disability certificates for persons with disabilities.
About UDID Project
- The Project aims to create a National Database for the Persons with Disabilities. Also, it aims to issue a UDID, that is, Unique Disability Identity Card to each person with disabilities.
Key Features of the Project
- A centralised web application for online availability of data of person with disabilities across the country.
- Online filling and submission of application form for disability certificate
- Fast tracking the process of calculating the percentage of disability by the hospitals
- Online updating and renewal of information about the persons with disabilities
- The following disabilities are included in the project: Cerebral Palsy, Blindness, Low Vision, Locomotor Disability, Leprosy-cured, Mental retardation, Mental Illness, Hearing Impairment Data Collected.
The Government of India collects only the following details from the person to create the UDID for him:
- Personal details including his or her address
- Employment details
- Identity Details
- Disability Details