Why in news ?
Recently, the Prime Minister of India urged people to be “vocal for local toys”, while interacting with the participants at the Toycathon 2021.Recently, the Prime Minister of India urged people to be “vocal for local toys”, while interacting with the participants at the Toycathon 2021.
- It was a joint initiative by the Ministry of Education, WCD (Women and Child Development) Ministry, Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, Textile Ministry, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and All India Council for Technical Education.
- It was launched on 5thJanuary 2021 to crowd-source innovative toys and games ideas.
- To conceptualize innovative toys based on the Indian value system which will inculcate positive behaviour and good value among the children.
- To promote India as a global toy manufacturing hub (Atmanirbhar Bharat).
- Based on: Indian culture and ethos, local folklore and heroes, and Indian value systems.
- Themes: Nine themes, including fitness and sport and rediscovering traditional Indian toys.
- The Toycathon is based on nine themes – Indian Culture, History, Knowledge of India and Ethos; Learning, Education and Schooling; Social and human values; Occupations & specific fields; Environment; Divyang; Fitness and sport; Out of the box, creative and logical thinking and Rediscovering/redesigning traditional Indian toys
- Participants: Students, teachers, start-ups and toy experts.
- Prize: Participants can get prizes upto Rs. 50 lakhs.