WHY IN NEWS?
The Rajasthan government will develop a tiger corridor connecting the newly proposed ‘Ramgarh Tiger Reserve’, Ranthambore Tiger Reserve and Mukundra Hills Tiger Reserve.
- Sariska Tiger Reserveis another Tiger reserve in Rajasthan.
About the Animal Corridor:
- Wildlife or animal corridorsare meant to ensure safe passage for animals between two isolated habitats.
- In wildlife parlance, corridors are mainly of two types: functional and structural.
- Functional corridorsare defined in terms of functionality from the perspective of the animal (basically areas where there has been recorded movement of wildlife).
- Structural corridorsare contiguous strips of forested areas and structurally connect the otherwise fragmented blocks of the landscape.
- When structural corridors are affected by human anthropogenic activities, functional corridors automatically widen because of animal use.
- In 2019, the National Tiger Conservation Authorityin collaboration with the Wildlife Institute of India published a document, mapping out 32 major corridors across the country, management interventions for which are operationalized through a Tiger Conservation Plan.
- The states are required to submit a Tiger Conservation Planunder section 38V of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972.