WHY IN NEWS?
- Iran recently launched its supercomputer called Simorgh. This supercomputer is hundred times more powerful than the previous Iranian supercomputers.
- The Supercomputer has been named after the phoenix like bird called the Simurgh.
- The Simorgh Supercomputer was developed by the Amirkabir University of Technology in Tehran, the capital of Iran.
- It is located at the Iranian High Performance Computing Research Centre.
- The performance capacity of the simorgh Supercomputer is 0.56 petaflops. It is to reach 1 petaflops in two months. In its subsequent levels it is to reach to speed of 10 petaflops.
- It comprises of 42 racks in an area of 250 square metres. In future this is to be upgraded to 400 square metres.
- The total budget of the supercomputer is expected to be 9 million USD.
- The Supercomputer is to be used for image processing, artificial intelligence work load, traffic and weather data.
- It will also be used for cloud hosting local private firms.
© 2023 Civilstap Himachal Design & Development