Why in News ?
Union Agriculture Minister, Narendra Singh Tomar, launched a seed Minikit programme by distributing high-yielding varieties seeds of oilseeds and pulses to farmers.
About Seed Minikit Programme
- This programme was launched as a major tool to introduce new varieties of seeds in fields.
- It will also help in increasing the seed replacement rate.
- Under the programme, Mini-kits are being provided by NAFED, National Seeds Corporation (NCS), and Gujarat State Seeds Corporation.
- It is completely funded by government through National Food Security Mission.
Distribution of seed minikits
- Under the mission distribution of seeds will continue till June 15, 2021. Thus, farmers will get seeds before commencement of Kharif sowing season.
- About 20,27,318 seed minikits of pulses, 74000 minikits of groundnut and 8 lakh for soybean will be provided free of cost to the farmers directly under National Food Security Mission.
Focus of the programme
- This mission was launched to increase production of oilseeds and pulses.