Why in news ?
Recently, Sant Kabir Das Jayanti was observed on 24th June, 2021 to mark the birth anniversary of Sant Kabirdas.
- Kabirdas Jayanti is celebrated on the Jyeshtha Purnima tithi, as per the Hindu lunar calendar.
- Sant Kabir Das was born in the city of Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. He was a 15thcentury mystic poet, saint and social reformer and a proponent of the Bhakti Movement.
- Kabir’s legacy is still going on through a sect known as Panth of Kabir, a religious community that considers him as the founder.
- Teacher: His early life was in a Muslim family, but he was strongly influenced by his teacher, the Hindu bhakti leader Ramananda.
- Literature: Kabir Das’ writings had a great influence on the Bhakti movement and includes titles like Kabir Granthawali, Anurag Sagar, Bijak, and Sakhi Granth.
- His verses are found in Sikhism’s scripture Guru Granth Sahib.
- The major part of his work was collected by the fifth Sikh guru, Guru Arjan Dev.
- He was best known for his two-line couplets, known as ‘Kabir Ke Dohe’.
- Language: Kabir’s works were written in the Hindi language which was easy to comprehend. He used to write in couplets to enlighten people.