WHY IN NEWS ?
- French President has asked for forgiveness for his country’s role in the Rwanda Genocide, 1994.
About Rwanda Genocide, 1994:
- The “Rwandan Genocide” refers to the 1994 mass slaughter in Rwanda. It was of the ethnic Tutsi by members of the Hutu majority government.
- The killings began in early 1994 and continued for approximately 100 days. As per a few estimations, there was killing of more than 800,000 Rwandans during that period.
What role did France play during the Rwanda Genocide 1994?
- During the genocide, France was accused. It was for acting as a staunch ally of the Hutu-led government that ordered the killings.
- In 1994, France deployed an UN-backed military force in Rwanda called Operation Turquoise– which was able to save some people. However, it was accused of sheltering some of the genocide’s perpetrators