- Indigenously-developed Tejas Aircraft has been cleared to carry fifth-generation Python-5 air-to-air missile as part of its weapons package.
- Python-5 is a fifth-generation air-to-air missile (AAM) manufactured by Israeli Rafael Advanced Defence Systems.
- The Python-5 Missile was first used in the 2006 Lebanon war. During the war, it destroyed two Iran made UAVs.
- Firstly, the missile can be launched from very short to beyond-visual ranges with greater kill probability and excellent resistance.
- Secondly, Python-5 is capable of “lock-on after launch” (LOAL). The missile also has a full-sphere/all-direction (including rearward) attack ability.
- Thirdly, the missile also features an advanced seeker with an electro-optical and imaging infrared homing seeker. This seeker scans the target area for hostile aircraft, then locks on for the terminal chase.
© 2023 Civilstap Himachal Design & Development