Why in News ?
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC)has approved the issuance of a Request for Proposal (RFP) for the construction of six conventional submarines under Project-75I (India).
About the Project:
- This project envisages indigenous construction of submarines equipped with the state-of-the-art Air Independent Propulsion systemat an estimated cost of 43,000 crore.
- Project 75 (I),approved in 2007, is part of the Indian Navy’s 30 year Plan for indigenous submarine construction.
- It will be the first under the strategic partnership modelwhich was promulgated in 2017 to boost indigenous defence manufacturing.
- The strategic partnership modelallows domestic defence manufacturers to join hands with leading foreign defence majors to produce high-end military platforms to reduce import dependence.
- Acquisitions under the Strategic Partnership model refer to participation of private Indian firms along with foreign OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) in ‘Make in India’in defence.
© 2023 Civilstap Himachal Design & Development