WHY IN NEWS?
The Prime Minister has inaugurated the Tourism Facilitation Centre and operation of Cruise Boat in Varanasi. These projects have been developed under the PRASHAD Scheme.
About the PRASHAD Scheme:
- The National Mission on Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual Heritage Augmentation Drive(PRASHAD) was launched by the Ministry of Tourism in the year 2014-15.
- Purpose: It is a Central Sector Scheme launched with the objective of integrated development of identified pilgrimage and heritage destinations.
Objectives of the Scheme:
- To enhance tourism attractiveness in a sustainable manner.
- To harness pilgrimage tourism so that it directly affects and multiplies employment generation and economic development.
- Furthermore, to promote local art and culture, handicraft and cuisines, etc.
- To develop world-class infrastructure in religious destinations.