Why in news?
The Managing Director of TRIFED recently highlighted the role played by Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana in changing the rural forest-dwelling tribal economy.
About Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana:
The Ministry of Tribal Affairs launched Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana in 2018, under the Forest Rights Act of 2005.
- Aim: To provide remunerative and fair prices to tribal gatherers of their Minor Forest Produces. It could be almost 3 times higher than what would be available to them from middlemen,
- Components: The scheme is a key component of the ‘Mechanism for Marketing of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) through Minimum Support Price (MSP) & Development of Value Chain for MFP’ Scheme.
- At the National Level, TRIFED acts as the Nodal Agency.
- At the State level, the State Nodal Agency for MFPs and
- Lastly, at the grass-root level, the District collectors will play a pivotal role in scheme implementation.
- Firstly, under the scheme, Van Dhan Vikas Kendras are set up. These centers cater to 10 Self Help Groups and each group consists of thirty tribal gathers.
- Secondly, Vikas Kendras provides skill up gradation and capacity building training and helps in setting up of primary processing and value addition facility
- Thirdly, they are also provided with working capital to add value to the products which they collect from the jungle.
- Fourthly, working under the leadership of Collector these groups can then market their products not only within the States but also outside the States. TRIFED provides training and technical support.