WHY IN NEWS?
- Setting up of 22 new regional AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences) has been approved under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) so far.
- PMSSY was announced in 2003 with objectives of correcting regional imbalances in the availability of affordable/reliable tertiary healthcare services and also to augment facilities for quality medical education in the country.
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Setting up of AIIMS like institutions.
- Up gradation of government medical collegesin various states.
The project cost for upgradation of each medical college institution is shared by the Centre and the state