Why in news ?
The Union Government has approved a plan for Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) Corporatisation.
About Ordnance Factory Board(OFB):
- Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) is an umbrella body of 41 Ordnance Factories.
- Origin: In 1775, British authorities accepted the establishment of the Board of Ordnance in Fort William, Kolkata. This marked the official beginning of the Army Ordnance in India.
- Nodal Ministry: It is currently a subordinate office of the Ministry of Defence (MoD).
- Mandate: It provides a major chunk of the weapon, ammunition, and supplies for Indian armed forces, paramilitary forces, and police forces.
- Headquarters: Kolkata, West Bengal