Why in news ?
Odisha has become the only state in India to have all the three species of crocodiles.
- Three species in the state of Odisha are:
- Reptile freshwater Gharials at Satkosia in Mahanadi,
- Muggers in Bhitarkanika National Park and
- Saltwater crocodiles.
- Odisha has witnessed natural nesting of Gharials (a critically endangered species) for the first time since they were introduced in its rivers in 1975.
- About 28 hatchlings of Gharials were spotted in Mahanadi River in Baladamara area near Satkosia range.