WHY IN THE NEWS?
The International Energy Agency (IEA) in association with NITI Aayog has released a report titled “Renewables Integration in India 2021”.
About Renewables Integration in India 2021 Report:
India’s Demand for Energy:
- India is the third-largest energy-consuming country in the world.
- Also, India has made significant progress towards its universal electrification target for residential users. 100 million people gained electricity access in 2018 alone.
- Per capita, electricity consumption across the 28 Indian states and eight union territories is still around a third of the world average and is expected to continue increasing.
Renewable Energy Penetration in India:
- Renewable energy penetration is highly variable by the state in India.
- The share of solar and wind in India’s ten renewables-rich states (Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Telangana, Punjab, and Kerala) is significantly higher than the national average of 8.2%.
- Solar and wind account for around 29% of annual electricity generation in Karnataka, 20% in Rajasthan, 18% in Tamil Nadu, and 14% in Gujarat.