WHY IN THE NEWS?
Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has informed Rajya Sabha about National Innovations in Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA).
- National Innovations in Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA) is a network project of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) launched in February 2011.
- Aim: The project aims to enhance the resilience of Indian agriculture to climate change and climate vulnerability through strategic research and technology demonstration.
- The research on adaptation and mitigation covers crops, livestock, fisheries and natural resource management.
Objectives of NICRA:
- To enhance the resilience of Indian agriculture covering crops, livestock and fisheries to climatic variability and climate change through the development and application of improved production and risk management technologies.
- To demonstrate site specific technology packages on farmers’ fields for adapting to current climate risks
- To enhance the capacity building of scientists and other stakeholders in climate resilient agricultural research and its application.
Components: The Project is composed of Four Components:
- Strategic research on adaptation and mitigation
- Technology demonstration on farmers fields to cope with current climate variability
- Sponsored and competitive research grants to fill critical research gaps
- Capacity building of different stakeholders