- Six young girls from Assam have developed a biodegradable and compostable yoga mat called ‘Moorhen Yoga Mat’.
- Note: The Mat was developed with the support of the North East Centre for Technology Application and Reach(NECTAR). NECTAR is an autonomous body under the Department of Science & Technology(DST).
About Moorhen Yoga Mat:
- The ‘Moorhen Yoga mat’ is named after Kam Sorai or Purple moorhen (a resident bird of Deepor Beel Wildlife sanctuary).
- The mat has been developed from Water Hyacinth. The mat is 100% biodegradable and 100% compostable mat.
- The mat comes in a cotton canvas cloth bag. So that no zip or metal closures are used.
Benefits of the Mat:
- The Mat can improve the aquatic ecosystem of the wetland through the removal of water hyacinth
- It can provide sustainable production of utility products with community engagement
- The mat can generate livelihood for indigenous communities to become completely ‘Atma Nirbhar’.
© 2023 Civilstap Himachal Design & Development