Why in News ?
Recently, the Union Minister of Panchayati Raj released a Model Panchayat Citizens Charter.
- It is prepared by the Ministry of Panchayati Raj (MoPR)in collaboration with National Institute of Rural Development & Panchayati Raj (NIRDPR).
- NIRDPR is an autonomous organisationunder the Union Ministry of Rural Development.
- It has been developed for the delivery of the services across the 29 sectors, aligning actions with localised Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- It is expected that the Panchayats utilising this framework, and with the due approval of Gram Sabha, would draw up a Citizens Charter, detailing the different categories of services rendered to the citizen by the Panchayat, the conditions for such serviceand also the time limit for such service.
- It will help in making the citizens aware of their rightson the one hand, and to make the Panchayats and their elected representatives directly accountable to the people, on the other hand.