WHY IN THE NEWS?
- Ministry of Jal Shakti has launched a ‘100 days campaign’ named SUJALAM to create more and more Open Defecation Free (ODF) Plus villages by undertaking wastewater management at the village level.
- The Campaign would help in the management of the wastewater and in turn, would help to revive the water bodies through the creation of 1 million Soak-pits and also other Greywater management activities. The campaign started on August 25, 2021, is part of the ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ celebrations.
The three focus areas of the SUJALAM campaign are:
- Construction of 1 million soak pits;
- Retrofitting of toilets and
- Access to toilets for new households.