- According to the Green Business Certification Inc. and US Green Building Council, India ranks first globally in LEED Zero-certified green building projects surpassing the US and China.
- India has 73 LEED Zero certified projects, comprising 45% of the more than 150 total LEED Zero certifications.
- Haryana and Tamil Nadu are leading the way in certifications.
- In India, realty firm DLF and FMCG player ITC are leading in the LEED Zero green certification initiative.
ABOUT LEED CERTIFICATION
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design is the world’s most widely used green building rating system in the world.
- It is available for virtually all building types.
- This certification provides a framework for healthy, highly efficient, and cost-saving green buildings, which offer environmental, social and governance benefits.
- It is a globally recognized symbol of sustainability achievement and leadership.
- To achieve LEED certification, a project earns points by adhering to prerequisites and credits that address carbon, energy, water, waste, transportation, materials, health and indoor environmental quality.
- This rating system is developed by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC).
- It has 4 types of ratings: Certified<Silver<Gold<Platinum.
GREEN RATING FOR INTEGRATED HABITAT ASSESSMENT (GRIHA)
- It is the national rating system of India for any completed building construction.
- It was jointly set up by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) and the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
- Aim- To help design green buildings and help evaluate the ‘greenness’ of the buildings.