WHY IN NEWS?
Ladakh has become first Union Territory to vaccinate all residents and guest population; comprising of migrant labourers, hotel workers and Nepalese citizens earning their livelihood in the territory; with first dose of Covid-19 jab.
- In spite of Ladakh’s low population, this is no mean feat because of region’s challenging terrain, extreme weather and isolated centres of population. Many of the population are in fact difficult to access.
- As per data, total of 89,404 people from all eligible age groups have been administered with first dose of Covid vaccine.
- Second dose has been administered to 60,936 people.
- Vaccination was done in less than three months after third phase of vaccination started in India.
- About 6,821 Nepalese citizens living in UT were administered the vaccine.