WHY IN NEWS?
Central Government has notified jurisdiction of Krishna River Management Board (KRMB) & Godavari River Management Boards (GRMB), Seven years after their constitution under Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act.
- With the constitution of boards, Centre transferred operation of all projects, including generation of hydel power, in two river basins in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana to them. It will be in effective from October 14, 2021.
- Notification was issued by Ministry of Jal Shakti (MoJS).
- Notification brought 35 projects in Krishna basin and 71 in Godavari basin, under purview of boards.
- It empowered the boards to operate headworks of barrages, dams, reservoirs, part of canal network, regulating structures, transmission lines and power houses at projects.
- P. and Telangana will deposit Rs 200 crore each to bank account of KRMB within sixty days of publication of notification in order to enable boards to discharge its functions effectively.