Why in news ?
Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar has developed a device named ‘Jivan Vayu’.
- Jivan Vayu is a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure(CPAP) device. It can be used as a substitute for existing CPAP machines.
Key Features of the Device:
- Firstly, it is India’s first CPAP device that functions even without electricity.
- Secondly, the device is adapted to both kinds of oxygen generation units like O2 cylinders and oxygen pipelines in hospitals.
- Thirdly, the device can deliver high flow oxygen up to 60 Litres per Minute (LPM).
- Fourthly, the device has an inbuilt viral filter which ensures that the air does not bring in any pathogens from the environment.
- Significance: This device is especially important during the present Covid-19 pandemic. Further, the power supply is the key concern for saving lives of those on medical equipment such as ventilators and oxygen concentrators.