WHY IN NEWS?
- The International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB) (International Biodiversity day) is observed on 22ndMay every year.
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA)in 1993 proclaimed 22nd May as IDB to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues.
- The UNGA also declared the period 2011-2020as the United Nations (UN) Decade on Biodiversity to promote the implementation of a strategic plan on biodiversity and its overall vision of living in harmony with nature.
- It also declared 2021-2030as the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development and the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration.
- This year’s theme is “We’re part of the solution”which is a continuation of 2020 theme- Our solutions are in nature.
- This serves as a reminder that biodiversity remains the answer to several sustainable development challenges.
© 2023 Civilstap Himachal Design & Development