Syllabus– General Studies 3(environment)
Parliamentary panel for synergy between IMD and private players
More on the news:
- According to the Standing Committee on Science:
- There is a need for better synergy between the India Meteorological Department (IMD) and private forecasters.
- To avoid confusion, especially during extreme climate events like cyclones or flash floods.
- Currently, there are three private players in India i.e.;
- Skymet (India),
- Earth Networks and
- IBM Weather.
- In recent years, the IMD and Skymet have often made differing predictions on the monsoon.
- In June 2021, the Kerala government, dissatisfied with the IMD’s performance, hired Skymet Private Limited, Earth Networks and the IBM Weather Company.
- In order to use ensemble predictions to improve extreme weather alert services in the State.
- The IMD was vociferous on the issue and said that multiple predictions often create unnecessary confusion.
- The members of the committee also expressed that, year after year, the IMD assesses the monsoon to be normal though the actual experience is different.
- Statistically, the monsoon may be normal in terms of the average rainfall, but most certainly the number of rainfall days had decreased.
- There have also been far more flash floods in recent times than ever before, the members pointed out.
- The committee also discussed:
- The current monsoon forecast,
- Deficit regions and States,
- Urban heat islands,
- Distribution of weather stations across districts, and
- Matching meteorological sub-divisions with agro-climatic zones.
Question- How cyclone prediction can be improved by synergizing the inputs by IMD and private players?