Why in News ?
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Hyderabad has developed nano-fibre based oral tablets of Amphotericin B, called as AmB.
- IIT Hyderabad researchers decided to keep this technology free of intellectual property rights and are ready for technology transfer so that tablet can be produced on mass level.
- This medicine is reportedly cheaper, higher AmB absorption and less Nephrotoxicity.
- AmB was earlier available in injectable form only.
What are Amphotericin B tablets?
- Amphotericin B tablets are nano-fibre based oral medicine that can be used to treat fungal infections which is currently spreading in India post COVID treatment.