Government of India has announced they it will set up a Centre of Excellence for Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming and Comics. This decision has been taken to create a globally acclaimed talent pool in the country so as to cater to the Indian as well as the global industry.
- This Centre of Excellence will be set up in collaboration with Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay.
- This announcement was made in the Rajya Sabha by Anurag Thakur, the Minister of Information and Broadcasting.
- Film and Television Institute of India and Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute and have offered courses on VFX and Animation with the aim to support skilled manpower in these sectors.
- In India, the Media and Entertainment sector is one of the fastest and largest growing sectors and focus should be given on this sector so that they can produce an internationally acclaimed talent pool.
- To attract more foreign investments, Film Bazaar is organised by the National Film Development Corporation every year at the International Film Festival of India, Goa.
- Film Bazaar is the largest South Asian Film Market and it attracts lots of investors globally by encouraging financial and creative collaboration between the International and South Asian Film communities.
- With 15 countries, India has audio-visual co-production treaties.
- The Gaming industry is one of the biggest industries in the world and it earns a lot every year. Hence, the government has plans to set up a talent pool in India that can churn out international level talents and attract foreign investments.
Centre of Excellence
It is a shared facility, team or an entity that helps in research, development, support, training, etc on different areas.