WHY IN NEWS?
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced the launch of the RBI Retail Direct scheme.
About RBI Retail Direct Scheme:
- RBI Retail Direct Scheme is a one-stop solution to facilitate investment in government securities (G-secs) by individual investors.
- Under the scheme, retail investors (individuals) will have the facility to open and maintain the ‘Retail Direct Gilt Account’ (RDG Account) with the RBI.
- A gilt Account means an account opened and maintained for holding Government securities.
- This RDG account can be opened through an online portal provided for the purpose of the scheme.
- The online portal will then allow the registered users access to primary issuance of G-secs and access to NDS-OM (Negotiated Dealing System — Order Matching (NDS-OM).