WHY IN NEWS?
Rasmi Ranjan Das, a Joint secretary of the Finance Ministry has been appointed to the UN tax committee as a member for the term period 2021 to 2025. Rasmi Ranjan Das is Joint Secretary – (FT&TR-I), Central Board of Direct Taxes, Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance.
About the UN tax committee
- Formally known as the UN Committee of Experts on International Cooperation in Tax Matters, this committee helps the countries’ efforts to advance stronger and forward-looking tax policies which are adapted to suit the realities of a digitalised economy, globalised trade and investment and the ever worsening environmental degradation.
- This committee also assists countries in their efforts to prevent multiple or double taxations and non-taxation. Also, it helps in broadening their tax base, curb international tax evasion and avoidance as well as strengthen their tax administrations.
- The committee also focuses on the developing countries and their various policy environments.
- A majority of the newly appointed members of this committee are from the developing countries.
- Since its inception, for the first time this Committee has a majority of women experts in its panel.
- The UN Tax Committee works closely with various observers from government, business and academia as well as civil society to develop, guide and to encourage an inclusive setting of policies.