WHY IN NEWS?
First shipment of Geographical Indication (GI) certified Bhalia variety of wheat was exported to Kenya and Sri Lanka from Gujarat, giving a boost to wheat exports.
About Bhalia Variety of Wheat
- GI certified wheat has high protein content and has sweet taste.
- It is grown mostly across Bhal region of Gujarat. It is also grown in Ahmedabad, Kheda, Anand, Bhavnagar, Bhavnagar and Bharuch districts.
- This unique characteristic of wheat variety is grown in rainfed condition without irrigation and cultivated across two lakh hectares of agricultural land in Gujarat.
- Bhalia variety of wheat received GI certification in July, 2011.
- Registered proprietor of GI certification is Anand Agricultural University in Gujarat.