The ENP has got its first fernarium.
- Ferns are part of the Epiphytic family. They grow naturally in a soilless condition. The plants obtain water and nutrients through leaching from trees.
- Ferns are a diverse group of plants that do not produce flowers or seeds but instead reproduce through spores.
- Some ferns are used for food.
About Eravikulam National Park (ENP)
- It is located in Southern Western Ghats near Idukki, Kerala.
- Anamudi is the highest peak at 2695 meters (also the highest peak of the Indian Peninsula).
- Vegetation includes grasslands, shrublands and Shola forests.
- It was declared a sanctuary in 1975 and later a National Park (1978) with the intention of protecting the indigenous population of Nilgiri Tahr (IUCN status- endangered). Other animals include Nilgiri Marten, Ruddy Mongoose, Small Clawed Otter, etc.
- “Neelakurinji”, the flower that blooms once in twelve years grows here.