WHY IN THE NEWS?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is to launch “e-RUPI Digital Payment Solution” on August 2, 2021. e-RUPI is an e-voucher-based payment solution.
- e-RUPI initiative will be launched to limit touchpoints between government and beneficiary.
- The platform will also ensure that benefits reach its intended beneficiaries in a targeted and leak-proof manner.
- e-RUPI is a one-time payment mechanism that will allow users to redeem vouchers without using the card, digital payments app or internet banking access.
What is e-RUPI Platform?
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) developed e-RUPI platform on its UPI platform. It has onboarded banks to act as issuing entities.
- It was launched in collaboration with the Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and National Health Authority.
- This platform was launched to ensure a leak-proof delivery of welfare services.
- The platform will be used to deliver services under schemes that are meant to provide drugs & nutritional support under Mother and Child welfare schemes, drugs & diagnostics under schemes such as Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana, fertilizer subsidies and TB eradication programmes.
- The private sector can also leverage these digital vouchers under their employee welfare and corporate social responsibility programmes.
Working Mechanism of e-RUPI
e-RUPI will be delivered to mobile phones of beneficiaries through SMS string or a QR code. It will be like a prepaid gift voucher that can be redeemed at specific accepting centres without any credit or debit card, mobile app or internet banking. It will connect sponsors of the services with beneficiaries and service providers digitally without any physical interface.