WHY IN THE NEWS?
Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) has organized Samajik Adhikarita Shivir’. In this shivir, aids and assistive devices will be distributed among ‘Divyangjan’ under the ADIP Scheme and among Senior Citizens under the ‘Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana’.
About ADIP Scheme:
- Launched by: Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) under the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
- Aim: To assist the needy disabled persons in procuring durable and scientifically manufactured appliances. It will promote their physical, social, and psychological rehabilitation by reducing the effects of disabilities and enhancing their economic potential.
- Implemented by: NGOs, National Institutes under the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, and ALIMCO (a PSU that manufactures artificial limbs).
- Indian citizen of any age
- Has 40% disability or more
- Monthly income not more than Rs.20,000.
- In the case of dependents, the income of parents/guardians should not exceed Rs. 20,000/- per month
- Must not have received assistance during the last 3 years, and for children, it’s the last 1 year.
About Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana:
- Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana is the scheme of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. It was launched in 2017.
- Type: It is a central sector scheme funded by the Senior Citizens’ Welfare Fund.
- Aim: to provide aids and assistive living devices to senior citizens belonging to the Below Poverty Line (BPL) category who suffer from age-related disabilities such as low vision, hearing impairment, loss of teeth, and locomotor disabilities.
- The aids and assistive devices include walking sticks, elbow crutches, hearing aids, wheelchairs, and spectacles, etc.
- Implementated by: Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO), which is a public sector undertaking under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.