WHY IN NEWS ?
- BRICS foreign ministers meeting was held virtually on June 1, 2021. This meeting was hosted by India.
Agenda of the meeting
- During the minister’s meet, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar highlighted significant principles which were guiding BRICS.
- He also referred to international law and UN Charter which recognises sovereign equality of all states and respects territorial integrity.
- According to him, desired change can be achieved only by conducting policies in line with these principles.
Who hosted the meeting?
- BRICS meeting was hosted by India in its capacity as chair of BRICS. It was attended by Foreign Minister of Russia, Sergey Lavrov; Foreign Minister of China, Wang Yi; Minister of International Relations of South Africa, Grace Naledi Mandisa Pandor; and Foreign Minister of Brazil, Carlos Alberto Franco.
Significance of meeting
- BRICS foreign ministers, for the first time, have agreed on common goal of “reforming the multilateral system”. They also agreed, such reform should cover all key multilateral institutions, including-
- UN and its principal organs such as UN general assembly, UN Security Council etc.
- International financial architecture such as IMF & World Bank
- Multilateral trading system such as WTO & UNCTAD and
- Global health governance system along with WHO.
BRICS ministers agreed to bring in new life on discussions regarding reform of UN Security Council.
Key deliverables by India
- India put forward four key deliverables including, reform of multilateral system, use of digital and technological solutions to achieve SDGs, counter-terrorism cooperation and enhancing people-to-people cooperation apart from BRICS cooperation on COVID-19 pandemic