WHY IN NEWS?
- As many as 21 tribals across eight different Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs) in Odisha have tested positive for Covid-19. Among them, two persons are from the Bonda tribe.
About Bonda Tribe:
- Bonda tribes are one of the 13 Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs) found in Odisha.
- Origin: Bonda tribes are members of a group of Austro-Asiatic tribes.They are believed to be part of the first wave of migration out of Africa about 60,000 years ago. They are the first forest settlers in India.
- Culture: The Bondas have retained their identity and culture despite external interventions over the years.
- Occupation: They are primarily forest dwellers. They perform hunting and foraging for food in the wild.
- Matriarchal society: The women prefer to marry men who are younger by at least 5-10 years. This is done because the men can earn for them when they grow old.
- Dressing style: Women are semi-clad and wear various types of rings and necklaces around their bodies. The men on the other hand carry lethal bows and arrows.
- Language: They continue to speak in their language, Remo. It comes under the Austro-Asiatic language belonging to the Mundari group.
© 2023 Civilstap Himachal Design & Development