WHY IN THE NEWS?
Union Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs has informed that about 88,236 govt-funded vacant houses are available. They can be converted into Affordable Rental Housing Complexes under the Affordable Rental Housing Complexes Scheme.
About Affordable Rental Housing Complexes Scheme:
- Affordable Rental Housing Complexes (ARHCs) is a Sub-scheme under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Urban (PMAY-U) to provide affordable rental housing to urban migrants/ poor close to their workplace.
- To address the vision of ‘AtmaNirbhar Bharat Abhiyan’ significantly by creating a sustainable ecosystem of affordable rental housing solutions for urban migrants/poor.
- To achieve the overall objective of “Housing for All” encompassing the need for affordable rental housing for urban migrants/poor.
- Also, to create a conducive environment by incentivizing Public/Private Entities to leverage investment in rental housing.
- ARHCs to be considered till PMAY (U) Mission period, i.e. March 2022.
- Beneficiaries for ARHCs will be varied groups of urban migrants/ poor from EWS/ LIG categories including industrial & construction workers, migrants working with market/ trade associations, educational/ health institutions, hospitality sector, long-term tourists/ visitors, students, etc.
Implementation Strategy: The ARHCs will be built through a two-pronged strategy: –
- Strategy-1: Utilizing existing Government funded vacant houses to convert into ARHCs through Public-Private Partnership (PPP) or by Public Agencies.
- Strategy-2: Construction, Operation & Maintenance of ARHCs by Public/ Private Entities on their own available vacant land.