WHY IN NEWS?
Recently, the fort at Gandikota was identified for development under the Centrally-sponsored ‘Adopt a Heritage’ programme. Further, 3 monuments – Nagarjuna Konda in Guntur district, the Buddhist remains at Salihundam in Srikakulam district and the Veerabhadra temple at Lepakshi in Anantapur district have been identified for development under ‘Adarsh Smarak’ scheme.
Ministry: Ministry of Culture
- The scheme was launched in 2014 for providing improved visitor amenities, especially for the physically challenged, besides cleanliness, drinking water, and interpretation centres, cafeteria, souvenir shop, wi-fi, garbage disposal etc.
- To make the monument accessible to differently-abled.
- To make monument visitor friendly.
- Furthermore, to implement Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
- Also, to upgrade/provide washrooms, drinking water, signages, cafeteria, and wi-fi facilities.
- To provide interpretation and audio-video centers.
- To streamline wastewater and garbage disposal and a rainwater harvesting system.
- Lastly, to provide safety and protection