WHY IN THE NEWS?
11th Annual meeting of the Forum of the Election Management Bodies of South Asia (FEMBoSA) for the year 2021 was inaugurated by Chief Election Commissioner of India & Chairman of FEMBoSA, Sushil Chandra
- He was accompanied by Election Commissioners Rajeev Kumar and A.C. Pandey.
- This virtual meeting was hosted by the Election Commission of Bhutan.
- The meeting was participated by delegations from Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Maldives, Bhutan, Nepal and Sri Lanka along with India.
- During the meeting, Sushil Chandra noted that FEMBoSA represents a very large part of the democratic world. it is an active regional cooperation association of Election Management Bodies.
- He shared India’s experience of conducting Assembly elections in Bihar Assam, Kerala, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, and Puducherry amid the COVID 19 pandemic.
- He also highlighted the importance of technological advancements and their impact on election management. Technology is extensively used to make elections more participative, accessible and transparent.
- According to him, ECI looks forward to strengthening its interaction with FEMBoSA member EMBs in order to promote activities of the Forum in accordance with its objectives.
Logo of FEMBoSA
The logo of the FEMBoSA with golden pearls stands for eternal values of democracy, transparency, impartiality and cooperation.
The theme of the meeting
FEMBoSA meeting was held under the theme of ‘Use of Technology in Elections’