WHY IN NEWS?
From 12 to 14 July, 2021 the BRICS meeting on Contact Group on Economic and Trade Issues (CGETI) was held.
- During the three day CGETI meeting, the BRICS members deliberated on the proposals which were circulated by India. These proposals were mainly for increasing and strengthening the intra-BRICS trade and cooperation was said by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
Proposals made by India
The proposals put forward by India are
- Cooperation of BRICS regarding Multilateral Trading System.
- A framework to ensure Consumer Protection in E-Commerce.
- For SPS/TBT measures, Non-Tariff Measures resolution mechanism.
- Working Mechanism on Phytosanitary and Sanitary.
- A Framework of BRICS regarding Cooperation in the Professional Services.