Why in news?
In Karnataka, several members of the HakkiPikki Tribe survived Covid-19.
- The Gujrathioa, Kaliwala, Mewara, and Panwara clans of the HakkiPikki tribes are semi-nomadic tribal people.
- They speak a variety of south Indian languages, including Kannada, Tamil, Telugu, and Malayalam, as well as Vagribooli, a Guajarati-like language.
- In Kannada, the HakkiPikki means “bird catchers.”
- In Karnataka, it is classified as a Scheduled Tribe.
Origin and History:
- The HakkiPikki tribal groups have a long history that includes an ancestor who is said to be related to the legendary Ranapratap Singh.
- The HakkiPikki tribal community is a Kshatriya or warrior tribal group that was forced to move to southern India after defeating Mughal rulers.