- Thickly knitted fishing gill nets have recently caused the death of river dolphin.
About Gangetic Dolphin(Platanista gangetica gangetica),
- It is a river Dolphin, and the national aquatic animal of India.
- Common name -Susu.
- They are generally blind and catch their prey using ultrasonic sound which reaches the prey.
- Females are larger than males.
- Found in deep waters, in and around the confluence of rivers.
- States- Assam, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal.
- Threats include Direct killing, habitat fragmentation by dams and barrages and indiscriminate fishing.
- IUCN status: Endangered.