WHY IN NEWS?
According to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), First case of rare human monkeypox was detected in Texas.
- Monkeypox was detected in a US. resident, who recently travelled from Nigeria to US.
- Though it is a rare viral illness but currently is not a reason for alarm and threat to public.
- As per laboratory testing at CDC, patient is infected with strain of monkeypox which is commonly found in parts of West Africa, including Nigeria.
- Infections with this strain of monkeypox are fatal among 1 in 100 people.
- Prior to this case, there have been six reported monkeypox cases in travellers returning from Nigeria in United Kingdom, Israel, and Singapore.
- Monkeypox is a rare but potentially serious viral illness which starts with flu-like illness & swelling of lymph nodes and progresses to a widespread rash on face & body.
- Most infections last 2-4 weeks.
- It shares same family of viruses as smallpox, but causes milder infection.