Which of the following statements is/are correct regarding inter – state trade and commerce?
1. Article 301 of the Indian Constitution declares that trade, commerce and intercourse throughout the territory of India shall be free.
2. Parliament can impose restrictions on the freedom of trade and commerce between the states.
- Article 301 of the Indian Constitution declares that trade, commerce and intercourse throughout the territory of India shall be free. The freedom guaranteed by Article 301 is a freedom from all restrictions, except those which are provided for in the other provisions (Articles 302 to 305) of Part XIII of the Constitution itself.
- Parliament can impose restrictions on the freedom of trade, commerce and intercourse between the states or within a state in public interest. But, the Parliament cannot give preference to one state over another or discriminate between the states except in the case of scarcity of goods in any part of India.
Which of the following statements are correct regarding the parliamentary privileges available to the members?
1. They cannot be arrested during the session of Parliament for both civil and criminal offences.
2. The presiding officer of the house has the final authority in deciding matters of breach of privileges.
- They cannot be arrested during the session of Parliament and 40 days before the beginning and40 days after the end of a session. This privilege is available only in civil cases and not in criminal cases or preventive detention cases. Hence statement 1 is not correct.
- No member is liable to any proceedings in any court for anything said or any vote given by him in Parliament or its committees.
- The presiding officer of the legislature has the final powers in deciding matters of breach of privilege. Thus, Lok Sabha speaker has the final powers in deciding matters of breach of privilege by a member of Lok Sabha. The same function is performed by the chairman of the Rajya Sabha for its members. Hence statement 2 is correct.
Which of the following statements are correct with reference to The Provisions of the Panchayats (Extension to Scheduled Areas) Act, 1996 (PESA)?
1. The provisions of the Act apply to the states of the Northeast India only.
2. Ministry of Rural Development and Ministry of Development of Northeastern Region are the nodal ministries for the implementation of the provisions under this Act.
3. The Gram Sabha has the exclusive right to manage and control village markets in the Scheduled Areas
Which of the statements given above is/are incorrect?
- PESA Act is extended to Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Orissa, Rajasthan, and Telangana. Hence statement 1 is not correct.
- The Ministry of Panchayati Raj is the nodal Ministry for the implementation of the provisions of the PESA Act. Hence statement 2 is not correct.
- The Gram Sabha has the exclusive right to manage and control village markets in the Scheduled Areas.
Which of the following are the characteristics of Liberalism?
1. Individual Liberty
2. Nationalisation of Industries
3. Limited State
Which of the above elements are correct?
Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on the rights of the individual, liberty, consent of the governed and equality before the law. The characteristics of Liberalism are,
- Welfare – The idea that the state works for the welfare of the people
- Democracy – Liberalism is an exponent of democratic government
- Limited State – view the state as a means for attaining the good of the individual
- Capitalist economy – Liberalism advocates the free market economy.
- Individual Liberty – It is the very essence of the human personality
- Individual-centred – Liberalism begins and ends with the individual
- Opposed to Traditions or Superstitions – opposed to all reactionary measures
So, Statements 1, 3 and 4 are correct.
Nationalisation of Industries is a socialistic principle that curbs the free market economy which does not advocate Liberalism. So, Statement 2 is not correct.
Which of the following statement is correct?
- On August 15, 1947, India’s first Cabinet was formed, consisting of 14 Cabinet Ministers including Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru. Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, a Kapurthala princess, who served as secretary to Mahatma Gandhi, was the only women minister in the Jawaharlal Nehru cabinet as health minister. So, Statement 1 is correct.
- The Interim Government of India was formed on 2nd September 1946 headed by Viceroy Mount Batten. It remained in power until August 15, the day of India’s Independence. It has members from both the Indian National Congress and Muslim League. But there was no women member in the interim government. So, Statement 2 is correct.
- The Interim Government of India, also known as the Provisional Government of India, formed on 2 September 1946 from the newly elected Constituent Assembly of India, had the task of assisting the transition of British India to independence.
Which of the following statements are correct regarding recently launched SuSwagatam’ portal?
- The Supreme Court has introduced the ‘SuSwagatam’ portal, an online platform that facilitates the issuance of e-passes for entering the apex court.
- ‘SuSwagatam’ is a user-friendly web application that enables advocates, visitors, and interns to register online and request e-passes for various purposes, including attending court hearings and meeting with advocates.
- In July 2023, the portal underwent testing as a pilot project and received positive responses from its users.
- It is a web-based and mobile-friendly application that allows users to request for e-passes for various purposes such as attending court hearings, meeting advocates, etc.
Consider the following statements about the National Population Register (NPR) of India:
1. The Registrar General of India, under the Ministry of External Affairs, is responsible for the supervision and control of the NPR.
2. The objective of the NPR is to help in the formulation of policies and plans for public welfare and to aid in the prevention of illegal migration.
3. The demographic details for the NPR are collected only during the Census operation.
Which of the above statements are incorrect?
- The Registrar General of India operates under the Ministry of Home Affairs, not the Ministry of External Affairs.
- The NPR helps in formulating policies and public welfare schemes and in identifying and preventing illegal migration.
- While the Census collects a host of details including detailed socio-economic information, the NPR primarily collects basic demographic details. They are two different exercises, and demographic details for NPR are not collected only during the Census operation.
Which of the following statements are correct regarding the PM CARES Fund?
1. Prime Minister is the ex-officio Chairman of the Fund.
2. It is funded through both budgetary approvals as well as CSR contributions.
3. An RTI can be filed to seek information by the general public as it is designated as a public authority.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- PM CARES Fund has been registered as a Public Charitable Trust. Recently, the government has not shared the information on an RTI request on PM CARES Fund stating it as not a public authority but a ‘public charitable trust’. The trust deed of PM CARES Fund has been registered under the Registration
- Act, 1908. Hence statement 3 is not correct.
- The Prime Minister is Chairperson (ex-officio) of the PM CARES Fund and Minister of Defence, Minister of Home Affairs and Minister of Finance, Government of India are ex-officio Trustees of the Fund. Hence statement 1 is correct.
- PM CARES Fund accepts voluntary contributions by individuals/organizations as well as contributions as part of CSR from Companies/Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs). However, does not get any budgetary support. Hence statement 2 is not correct.
Which of the following statements are correct about the leader of the opposition?
1. The office of the leader of the Opposition is not mentioned in the Constitution of India.
2. They are entitled to the salary, allowances and other facilities equivalent to that of a cabinet minister.
- The offices of the leader of the House and the leader of the Opposition are not mentioned in the Constitution of India, they are mentioned in the Rules of the House and Parliamentary Statute respectively. Hence statement 1 is correct.
- They are also entitled to the salary, allowances, and other facilities equivalent to that of a cabinet minister. Hence statement 2 is correct.
Which of the following statement is correct regarding financial emergency in India?
- The resolution approving the proclamation of financial emergency can be passed by either house of Parliament only by a simple majority. Hence statement 1 is correct.
- A proclamation of Financial Emergency may be revoked by the President at any time by a subsequent proclamation. Such a proclamation does not require parliamentary approval. Hence statement 2 is not correct.
- No Financial Emergency has been declared so far, though there was a financial crisis in 1991. Hence statement 3 is not correct.
Which of the following articles of the Indian Constitution deals with the Annual Budget?
Which of the following statement is incorrect regarding Gram Nyayalayas?
- Gram Nyayalayas or village courts are established under the Gram Nyayalayas Act, 2008 for speedy and easy access to the justice system in the rural areas of India.
- The Gram Nyayalayas are presided over by a Nyayadhikari, who will have the same power, enjoy the same salary and benefits as a Judicial Magistrate of First Class. Such Nyayadhikari is to be appointed by the State Government in consultation with the respective High Court.
Which of the following statements is correct about joint sitting of the Parliament?
Which of the following statements are correct about Speaker Pro Tem:
- President appoints a member of the Lok Sabha as the Speaker Pro Tem. Usually, the seniormost member is selected for this. Hence statement 1 is not correct.
- The date of the election of the Speaker is fixed by the President. Hence statement 2 is not correct.
- The President himself administers oath to the Speaker Pro Tem. Hence statement 3 is correct.
Which of the following statements with reference to the Inter-State River Water Disputes Act, 1956 is correct? :
- River Board Act, 1956: This empowered the GOI to establish Boards for Interstate Rivers and river valleys in consultation with State Governments. Till date, no river board has been created. Hence statement 1 is not correct.
- The Chairman and members of the Water Dispute Tribunals are nominated by Chief Justice of India. Hence statement 2 is correct.
- The resolution of water dispute is governed by the Inter-State River Water Disputes Act, 1956. According to its provisions, if a State Government makes a request regarding any water dispute and the Central Government is of opinion that the water dispute cannot be settled by negotiations, then a
- Water Disputes Tribunal is constituted for the adjudication of the water dispute. States can not directly approach the Tribunal in any case. Hence statement 3 is not correct.