Name the personality who was recently appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Managing Director (MD) of Air India.
- On 12th May 2022, Tata Sons Private Limited (Tata Sons), owned by Tata Group, appointed Campbell Wilson as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Managing Director (MD) of Air India.
- Campbell Wilson has resigned his position as the CEO of Scoot Pte Ltd, the wholly-owned low-cost airline subsidiary of Singapore Airlines (SIA), for his stint in Air India.
Which of the following statements are correct about Election Commission of India?
About Election commission of India:
- The constitution under article 324 provides for an Election Commission for the superintendence, direction and control of the preparation of the electoral rolls for the conduct of elections to parliament, state legislatures and to the offices of president and vice president.
- It was established in accordance with the Constitution on 25th January 1950 (celebrated as national voters’ day).
________ became India's 1st state to restore the old pension scheme in order to provide income to retired employees.
Chhattisgarh has become the first state in the country to restore the old pension scheme in order to provide assured income to retired employees. The state issued Gazette notification to switch back to the Old Pension Scheme (OPS) from National Pension Scheme (NPS) will be effective from April 1, 2022.
- In Feb.2022 Rajasthan had also announced restoration of OPS in its 2022-2023 budget the state has not issued a Gazette notification.
Benefits and Exemption
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel in 2022 -2023 Budget announced the government’s decision to revert to the old pension system (OPS) for State government employees.
- The move will benefit over three lakh employees who joined service after January 1, 2004.
- However, it will not be applicable to officials of the All India Services like members of the Indian Administrative Service or the Indian Police Service.
Main Difference in the Old and New Pension Scheme
- The main difference between two pension systems is that while an employee has to make a voluntary contribution towards pension by undertaking a 10% deduction from the basic salary and dearness allowance, there is no such deduction under OPS. However, a minimum of 12 per cent of basic salary will be deducted as per the General Provident Fund rule.
- Under the Old Pension Scheme, the government gives 50% of the salary of an employee as pension at the time of retirement.
Consider the following statements:
1. Before becoming a state of India, Sikkim was the ‘protectorate state’ of India.
2. Sikkim became the 23rd state of India in 1975.
3. The ruling dynasty of Chogyals continued to rule even after the merger of Sikkim into India in 1975.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
Answer – A
- In 1950, three years after India’s independence, a treaty was signed between Sikkim and the Republic of India. Under the agreement, the former continued its status as a ‘protectorate’ state within the Union of India.
- By 1970s, Sikkim’s ruling Chogyals had become increasingly unpopular, and calls, seeking the now-former kingdom’s integration with India, began to rise.
- In September 1974, the Chogyals called for a referendum. In April next year, after an appeal by the Prime Minister of Sikkim, the Indian Army entered and took control of the kingdom.
- On May 15, 1975, then-President of India, Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed, signed a constitutional amendment, and, a day later, Sikkim became the 22nd state of India; the position of the Chogyal was abolished as well.
Consider the following statements:
1. Gautama Buddha obtained Enlightenment at Bodhagaya.
2. Gautama Buddha first taught the Dharma at Sarnath.
3. Gautama Buddha died at Lumbini, Nepal.
Which of the above statements is/are incorrect?
Answer – C
- Every year Buddha Purnima is celebrated on the full moon day of the Baisakh month (April/May). This year, Buddha Purnima will be celeberated on May 16, 2022.
- It is believed that Gautama Buddha obtained Enlightenment on this day. Buddha Purnima is also known as Buddha Jayanti, Vesak, Vaishaka and Buddha’s Birthday. This is believed to be the 2584th Birth Anniversary of Gautam Buddha.
- Gautama Buddha’s birth name was Siddhartha Gautama. Buddha was born between 563-483 B.C in Lumbini, Nepal. He died at the age of 80 at Kushinagar, Uttar Pradesh.
- For Buddhists, Bodh Gaya is the most important pilgrimage site related to the life of Gautama Buddha. The other three important pilgrimage sites are Kushinagar, Lumbini, and Sarnath. It is believed that Gautama Buddha obtained Enlightenment at Bodhagaya and he first taught the Dharma at Sarnath.
Which organisation recently signed an MoU with the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare (MoAFW) to provide technical assistance to Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) & Kisan Credit Card-Modified Interest Subvention Scheme (KCC-MISS)?
The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare (MoAFW) of the Government of India (GoI) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) under which the UNDP will provide technical assistance to two GoI schemes: Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) and Kisan Credit Card-Modified Interest Subvention Scheme (KCC-MISS).
The Indian Air Force (IAF) tested the first extended-range version of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from which aircraft?
- The range of the Extended range version of BrahMos missile is around 350 kilometres (km) from its original 290 km.
- The BrahMos missile achieved a supersonic speed of 2.8 Mach or almost three times the speed of sound.
- The achievement is due to the dedicated and synergetic efforts of the IAF, Indian Navy, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited (BAPL) and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
- The project was conceived to enhance the IAF’s capability to strike from large stand-off ranges on any target on sea or land.
For which programme, ISRO recently tested a human-rated solid rocket booster (HS200) from Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh?
- Design and development of the HS200 booster were completed at Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC),
- HS200 booster loaded with 203 tons of solid propellant was tested for a duration of 135 seconds.
- The 20m long and 3.2m diameter booster is the world’s second-largest operational booster with solid propellant.
- S200 rockets tested for the human rating would be called HS200 (Human rated S200) Rocket System.
- Now, ISRO names the human rated version of the GSLV MkIII as the HRLV (Human Rated Launch Vehicle).
- Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mark III (GSLV MkIII) has a three stage propulsion system.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared earlier in 2018 that India will send its first man or woman into space by 2022. Thus initiating ambitious Gaganyaan programme.
- The heavy lift launcher, GSLV MkIII’s identification and the process for human rating of GSLV MkIII for India’s historic space mission was completed in 2020.
- But the plans are spoiled due to COVID-19 thus postponing the launch to 2023 through official communication by Union Minister Jitendra Singh in Rajya Sabha.
Why GSLV is used for Human Mission
Following the successful launch of Chandrayaan Mission-2 by GSLV MkIII into geosynchronous orbit of the
Earth, GSLV is identified as the perfect launch vehicle to take humans into space by ISRO’s venture.
- Envisages undertaking the demonstration of human spaceflight to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) in the short-term and will lay the foundation for a sustained Indian human space exploration programme in the long run.
- The objective of Gaganyaan programme is to demonstrate indigenous capability to undertake human space flight mission to Lower Earth Orbit (LEO).
The BRICS countries agreed to launch a ‘Pandemic Early Warning System’ during the 12th meeting of BRICS health ministers in May 2022. Which country hosted the meeting?
- India and Israel celebrate 30 years of establishment of diplomatic relations.
- Israel has shown his interest in upgrading the Centres of Excellence (CoE) established by Israel in India.
- Both sides have agreed to complete the process of finalizing a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) by the end of June 2022.
- 12th Meeting of BRICS Health Minister virtually hosted by China:
- BRICS Countries Agreed to Launch Pandemic Early Warning System for large scale pandemics.
- China is set to host the BRICS Summit in Xiamen, China in June 2022.
Consider the following statements:
1. The Indian Badminton Team defeated Thailand by 3-0 in Bangkok, Thailand. Which of the above statements is/are correct?
Answer – B
- The Indian Badminton Team defeated 14-time champions Indonesia by 3-0 in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Thomas Cup is an international badminton competition. The 16 teams that compete for the prestigious title are representing member nations of the Badminton World Federation (BWF).
- The championship was started by a legendary badminton player of England Sir George Alan Thomas, who was inspired by Tennis’s Davis Cup and Football’s World Cup.
- Team India had participated in 1952 for the first time in this tournament and after a wait of 70 years, they have finally clinched the title.
- This is so far the best performance of India in the competition, the last time the country was closest to the title was in the year 1979 when they made it to the semi-finals.